Saturday, March 13, 2021

OffToAmerica©2021TonyFallon0113

 OffToAmerica©2021TonyFallon0113

I had saved and borrowed money and in a week would sail
I said goodbye to my parents now both old and frail
The farm we were living on was way too small to split
I was the eldest I didn't want to cause family conflict
They had raised and nurtured me like all of the others
Now I was leaving them and my sister and my brothers
Belying my doubts and fears I put on some bravado
Knowing I might never come back from Colorado
My uncle never returned he was a cattle baron
A man who had made it big many miles from Aran
The uncle being a kind man sent many an envelope
The American dollars inside helped my parents cope
It was he who lent me the passage and money for trains
To get me from New York to his ranch way out on the plains
I had said farewell to all my friends in the parish
Mates I might see no more but memories to cherish
My father brought me in the curragh as far as Oranmore
By the Limerick Cork border my feet were feeling sore
A kindly farmer let me sleep ten hours in his shed
With breakfast in the morning and four slices of bread
With my sore feet daily I was not making great progress
And each day on the road I found myself walking less and less
The weather was rainy and I was walking in wet shoes
On my right foot I had corns on the left an ugly bruise
But I kept pressing on by day and at night I strove
And anyone I'd meet I'd ask how far more to Cobh
The ticket said at one on Thursday the boat would depart
But when I finally got to the quay my world fell apart
The liner stayed in the bay and did not come in to dock
And the last tender with passengers left at twelve o'clock
I saw the last passenger board and wave us all goodbye
Someone said the next boat to New York was not until July
My boat had left on its first trip across the wild Atlantic
And I have missed the maiden voyage of the great Titanic

No comments:

Post a Comment