Saturday, June 22, 2024

TheLonelyTrees©2024TonyFallon620

 TheLonelyTrees©2024TonyFallon620


Living overseas for my home village I have yearned

The memories started popping up since I'd returned

As we drove roads of my youth to temptation I couldn't yield

Without a word I parked the car and walked into the field

As I crossed the ten acres towards the lonely trees

I felt the warm sunshine and the promise of a breeze

They were five fine big shade oak trees planted in a line

On hot close summer days the stock would gladly recline

I wondered why they were planted if it was for shade

The one in the middle hit by lightning was decayed

The flash of lightning in a storm split the tree in halves

And took the lives of the farmers two fine young calves

In the warm days of summer in the mid day sun blaze

Often young lambs played in the shade while their mothers grazed

I wonder if they were commissioned by an English squire

Who wound up with some Irish land far away from Yorkshire

Did he ride around on a horse in fine English tweeds

Or was he conscious of his poor Irish tenants needs

I wonder during the famine were there cabins of sods

Which were torn down for rent money by the eviction squads

The field was part of an estate long before partition

That had been divided up by the Land Commission

In the spreading branches how many birds have nested

Beneath the shadow of leaves how many men have rested

A few feet up all of the trees had some shiny bark

I wonder how many cows had scratched there in the dark

Who were the lovers initials inscribed within a heart

Were they happy forever or did they sadly fall apart

Through the field to school and church there was right of way

On our way home from school we children often stopped to play

It would take a lot of plowing to have a grain crop

The five trees looked like ghosts in winter with no leaves on top.

The farmers son loved Gaelic football and his name was James

So we were allowed to use the field for our football games

Living overseas for my home village I have yearned

The memories started popping up since I've returned

As we drove roads of my youth to temptation I couldn't yield

Without a word I parked the car and walked into the field

The half hour in that lovely field for me was so good

My wife sat silent in the car I don't think she understood

©All rights belong to the author/

No comments:

Post a Comment