Friday, October 25, 2019

Carrowkeel, (C) Tony Fallon


Carrowkeel By Tony Fallon.
Goldsmith had a way with words
Whether writing of the sky or birds
His village was deserted or so he said
I cannot quarrel with him he is dead.
I once knew a village just like that
It teemed with fowl dog and cat
Houses with thatch it had only three
But they had special meaning for me
In one was born Maimie Groarke, my mother
And Pat Groarke the runner lived in another.20
In the third were the Daly’s with four lovely nieces
Who broke the local boy’s hearts in pieces
Through this village we all had to pass
When walking to the post office school or mass
It had a holy well the water was always cool,
We drank it often on our way from school
The grownups drank it too when they were sick
The one who brought it couldn’t talk even for a tick
It had a font and on it water we did place
They said the image on it was St Brigid’s face.20
We were told not to remove it not to even try
Cause if it was stolen the well would soon go dry.
The first week of August was a rare occasion
We went to this village on vacation
My uncle and aunt had a big white horse
I always wanted to ride him of course.
Long summer days we helped save the hay
Or helped with the thrasher on an autumn day
What you did at night was not a major decision
There was no electricity so there was no television30
The men went hunting rabbits with a carbide lamp
Whether the weather was warm or damp
While the women squeezed butter from the churn
And made sure the currant cake didn’t burn
Later stories were told around the fire all night
For those were the days before electric light
We learned checkers or cards from our hosts,
And were badly frightened by tales of ghosts.
Often if enough ramblers did arrive,
The adults might play poker or twenty-five,40
We children weren’t allowed to make a sound
As the pot might often be more than a pound.
Twas many a poor farmer lost a fiver or tenner
Another might win a goose for Sunday dinner.
Risky playing meant you went home broke
Without the price of a drink or a Woodbine smoke
The next morning we might be wishing,
We wouldn’t have to work but instead go fishing
We didn’t look forward to the shovel or spade
But we never refused Cidona or Lucozade.50
A little bit of work gave us an awful thirst
And we’d drink Cidona ‘til we nearly burst.
The shop was near oh what a dream
We were sometimes treated to ice cream
I didn’t even have a bicycle but they had a car
They took me for drives near and far
Then I don’t know if they used the word groovy
But that’s how I felt when in town for a movie.
When I grew up I went over the foam
And every so often I’d go back home60
The houses are all down not a sign of a shed
And all who lived there are now dead
Cattle graze where once there was tillage.
It’s just a town land now its no longer a village
No more I heard the curlews cry
Or watched the pigeons feed or fly.
Never more we’ll hunt the wren
Or see the cows come home again.
No more I’ll see a goose or duck
And in the field no tractor or truck70
There’s no sign of a plow
A pig bonham or sow.
There’s no hen to lay eggs
There’s no clothesline with pegs.
No potatoes are sowed
No meadows are mowed
No vegetables could I see
Where is the old apple tree?
There no meow and no bark
And I didn’t hear the lark.
And since there is no house,
What happened to the mouse?
I couldn’t hear the sound of a cricket,
Or hear rabbits run through a thicket.
There was no sign or a ewe or a ram
No more roasting the tail of the lamb.
No bullocks or calves in the rusty old pen
I didn’t see one gosling or a guinea hen
The well is fenced in by barbed wire
There’s no turf in the garden for a fire.90
I couldn’t hear the bleat of a lamb
Or see fruit for strawberry jam.
I had no interest in counting the stock
I didn’t have to hide from a turkey cock.

There’s was no sign of a donkey or horse
And there are no people and that’s even worse.
There’s was no sign at all of the customs of yore
There’s no friendly face no welcome door.
There’s been a lot of changes over the years,
And it won’t be changed back by my tears.100
Yes when I leave there I always feel so sad
Cause of all it meant to me as a lad.
I can’t help it that’s just how I feel.
Whenever I visit Carrowkeel.



No comments:

Post a Comment