Saturday, October 26, 2019

TheSwallow©2018TonyFallon0218 Slightly Revised 10/26/2019

TheSwallow©2018TonyFallon0218
Slightly Revised 10/26/2019

In the cold of October the last apple must fall from the tree
By this time summer is gone and so is the wasp and bee
When it lands far below it's broken and its life is over
The weeds have died on the stalk there is no grass or clover
No birds are singing in leafless trees or in the sullen sky
The winter sure is on its way I wish it was June or July
The neighbors talk of temperature and their aches and pains
If they had more money they could fly to Florida on planes
I remember how much fun we had together in the summer
You just appeared one day in my store you were a newcomer
You were like a breath of fresh air and we both could compose
We sat by the river and read each other poetry and prose
Yet in my heart I somehow knew you would get the urge to leave
You are so like the birds and bees I honestly believe
My heart feels like the apple all broken on the cold ground
I just need plenty of time alone to soothe this unseen wound.
You are not at all like the trees you are more like the fruits
I don't think you and I will ever set down loving roots
To have someone like you at all I never would have guessed
To be with you for one summer I really felt so blessed
So fly away my summer beauty to stay I shall not plea
You are like the birds flying in the sky you have to be free
I realize I'm a silly old man with a young man's notions
You are one of a kind but I will not change your emotions
Maybe just maybe you'll come back in spring relaxed and unstressed
and like a returning swallow seek me for your summer nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment