Tuesday, April 9, 2024

The Great Divide

 The Great Divide Tony Fallon april923

When I was a younger man I crossed the great divide
Crossed the wide Atlantic Ocean to the Hudson side
I was coming to an elder aunt with a spare room
Having someone to meet took away some of the gloom
Up until that time I had never travelled so far
I had owned a bicycle never a motor car
I got a job quickly a used car was on my mind
Within a month I was reading ads for a cheap find
I found a Thunderbird with only forty thousand miles
When I got to Inwood all the girls I knew had smiles
I was lonely for home but the paycheck softened the shock
The job was nearby so I was home by five o'clock
I often drove on the weekends and my heart would gladden
An Irish country boy needed a break from Manhattan
I played Irish football and danced in the Irish halls
And I drove to cousins living in Niagara falls
I've written poems and stories and been on the air
I host an Irish radio show and one over there
People shake their heads in awe and say I'm so diverse
They shake it more when they hear about my thousand verse
I'm as Irish as I was when I came over the pond
But all the people I knew are dead so there's no more bond
My friends ask if I went to Ireland could I still compose
Maybe I could or maybe I couldn't who really knows

No comments:

Post a Comment