Wednesday, April 24, 2024

TheEnglishLass©2024TonyFallon423

 


TheEnglishLass©2024TonyFallon423


The first time I met her she was a pretty teenage lass

She was coming from first and I going to second mass

I had to admire as she headed in my direction

In that twenty seconds or so she passed my inspection

I said hello to the lovely lass meaning her no harm

I assumed she was the daughter at the new Murphy farm

I was the local country lad she was of English stock

And she looked so lovely that day in her gay floral frock

It not only enhanced her lovely face but her full form

Springtime was in the morning air and it was getting warm

I had to admire her lovely smile and her gloveless hands

As I cycled my way to second mass with racing glands


The next week went by so much slower than an old snails pace

All I had were many visions of that lovely girls face

I spent the whole week checking the week end weather forecasts

In case there would be heavy rain on Sunday for first mass

I would prefer it wasn't raining and she didn't wear a coat

Or so cold she would have to wear a scarf around her throat

The time was almost at hand when I would have to impress

The new English girl in the village with the lovely dress

I knew I had to work fast my future was now at stake

My thoughts of us never clicking were keeping me awake

Sunday morning the sun shone brightly and birds were singing

This could be a good kick start of a brand new beginning


I did not catch sight of her as I made my lonely ride

But when I finally saw her I very nearly cried

For she had gotten there early in a pony and trap

And walking her inside the church was a well dressed young chap

I felt my world collapse which really was ironic

We did not even meet so you couldn't call it platonic

I was now heartbroken I no longer had a heartthrob

So I headed to England and I quickly got a job

Some weeks later I got a letter signed by my mother

Telling me the lad with the girl was her older brother

So I guess you'd have to say I had a slim delusion

But much worse than that I had jumped to the wrong conclusion

No comments:

Post a Comment