Monday, May 18, 2020

The Mountain Bike©2020TonyFallon0518


The Mountain Bike©2020TonyFallon0518


You said where you now lived was far out and remote
Well I had so little breath left when I approached
It was bad I broke the chain on the bicycle 
and walking up the mountain was so physical
By the time I arrived I also had two flats
Probably on the road there must have been some glass
I couldn't believe you had no bicycle patches
To keep the pumped air in either of my gashes
That was a very bad start to a love affair
You had no extra patches and I had no spare
your father is a crank so it was no surprise
That he wouldn't lend tubes until I could get supplies
With air in the tires I could free wheel to the base
And get the broken chain fixed or have it replaced
I was annoyed enough to throw it in the ditch
But I could not afford to because I wasn't rich
To walk down this big mountain would take many hours
And the weather was not good with those cold showers
I knew he wouldn't let me sleep inside we weren't wed
So I could use the hay shed or barn for my bed
I settled on the barn it must be the wrong place
I was awakened with the cow licking my face
You showed me some compassion with two hard boiled eggs
Instead of cycling I set off on my two legs
With no road traffic there was no way to hitchhike
And with flats and broken chain I couldn't use the bike
There's been no contact since the blame is not all mine
Since your father won't get a cell phone or landline

No comments:

Post a Comment