Friday, June 12, 2020

The Dreams©2020TonyFallon0612


 The Dreams©2020TonyFallon0612

Oft in the morning I try to replay my dreams
Of the carefree happy days in Ireland in my teens
When having a bicycle meant you weren’t destitute
And at mass every Sunday you had a new clean suit

Having the bicycle you could get a job in town
And after the weekend wassail still have left a pound
It also took you from under the thumbs of mothers
And helped you forget the bad school days at the brothers

I remember many hurling games played in Athleague
and getting to the top of Scrine hill in great fatigue
Dinner was waiting at home with lovely spuds unpeeled
Yet I'd stop for a football game in Jim Miley's field

Later I'd cycle home at nearly a headlong speed
Being hungry as a cowboy after a stampede
After eating I'd be urged to go and milk the cow
And bring in some potatoes to be boiled for the sow

If you live in the country there is little repose
To the mythical grindstone you have to keep your nose
My father then claimed it can not be all fun and games
Football and hurling and Saturday night chasing dames

With my little salary I was very cautious
every week I put ten shillings in the post office
In the back of my mind I had an ultimate plan
to sell the old bicycle and buy a cheap sedan

One day I met an uncle home from Staten Island
who owned an Irish pub on a big street named Hyland
I was an only son meant to inherit the farm
Yet a trip to New York would do a young man no harm

So now my focus was to save up for a ticket
I couldn't tell my father I knew he would turn wicked
The GAA had a raffle I bought a shilling ticket
A hundred pound was in my hand didn't the girl pick it

I said I'm going to leave be it by hook or crook
Next day I went to the post and emptied out the book
Days later I was in Dublin off the Westport train 
Weeks later I was in Shannon on a New York plane

When father found out what happened he was up in arms
but I was making money I had no time for farms
The farm went to my sister I never felt cheated
When our family visits we are warmly greeted

I don't get back often I do miss the scenery
is there an exile who does not miss the greenery?
I don't think I'd have done as well even with the car
I'm happy and at peace because now I own the bar

No comments:

Post a Comment