Saturday, July 13, 2019

Maids of Castlebar©22019Tony Fallon0713 Irish Dance Titles


Maids of Castlebar©22019Tony Fallon0713 Irish Dance Titles

I started Within a mile of Dublin intent on Crossing the Shannon
I was tired After all the Fun the night before in Sandymount.
The wife said Shoe the Donkey or you’ll not get to Patrick Street
And watch out for The Stack of barley if you go in the Westmeath Hunt 
And could you bring a bag of spuds to Josie MCDermott’s mother
Before I got to the Bridge of Athlone I said goodbye  to the lads of Laois
Patsy Cambell was out rowing with the boys of the Lough
Much to Tim Maloney and Paddy Lynn’s Delight
The Dunmore Lassies were by far George Whites Favourites
With the Bucks of Oranmore on their way from Galway to Dublin 
Outside Athlone there was a Smell of the bog and the Flax was in bloom
the old grey goose was watching the young Geese in the bog
In Knockcroghery I stopped in O’Brien’s by the Oak tree
And admired the Blackberry Blossom and the Honeysuckle in bloom
In Roscommon I wanted to say Kiss Me Kate but she had returned to Camden Town
I saw the Fair Haired boy cycling as I approached Coleman’s Cross
And Miss Monaghan was Queen of the Fair in old Ballymoe
This year the Rose of Arranmore was also the Rose of Castlerea
The Castlebar Traveler was staying to get The Harvest Home
Grogans Favorites were the Maids of Castlebar and mine too
The eldest I’d like to bring to Belfast Town and give her a Gold Ring
while the Man of the House was out visiting The tap room.
The drunken Landlay was having A mug of Brown Ale
But I ordered The cup of tea  Jenny’s Chickens and Crabs in the Skillet
Sporting Paddy and the Andersons said I was Far from home
The Scholar was in the Bank of Ireland changing a Ten Penny Bit
And Roaring Mary heard The Skylark after taking a pinch of snuff
The Gander in the Praties got in through A hole in the Hedge
The Blacksmith threw The Silver Spear at the Pigeon on the Gate
The Maid behind the Bar and The Sligo Maid loved Brian O"lynn
There was a big fight and they wound up breaking all the Windows
Meanwhile Dennis Murphy was Slidind down The Mist covered Mountain
Young Tim Murphy with Lovely Nancy and the Merry Maiden 
Was like having the cat in the cupboard or the fox in the hen house
The vMorning Star did not brighten the day for the Mulvihills
With A Mouse in the Kitchen, A Hare in The Corn and A Frog in the Well
Mrs Galvin swears when The Frost is all Over she'll wear a White Petticoat
I just found out Lady Gregory was really Paddy Murphy’s wife
And that Bridgie McGrath was the Lady on the Island
Dennis Coonety was courting The Pipers Daughter Under The Bridge
Andy Grogan was playing Anne McDonalds Piano drinking his first Pint
The Longford Spinster was at Cooley’s and wanted The Priests Blessing 
I’m happy to meet and sad to part because I Cherish the ladies
After visiting Matt Molloy I came to The Last house in Connaught 
And saw Pretty Maggie Morrissey and the Sailor on the rocks
I’d have used the Ash plant if I wasn’t so lonely because my love is in America
So I’m off to Philadelphia in the morning or maybe The Morning After
I’ll see if the cat needs feeding give him a leg of the Duck and go to Staten Island

No comments:

Post a Comment