Thursday, April 25, 2019

After the Alphabet©2019TonyFallon0415

After the Alphabet©2019TonyFallon0415
Nothing exciting happened before ABC
But there is a lot of hard work after XYZ
When you put letters together you get a word
Look them up in a dictionary from Oxford
Consonants without a vowel has no real sound
If you said Y was a vowel your teacher frowned
The more words you learn the greater the vocabulary
If you want more then visit the library
When you want words alike go to synonyms
When they are opposite they are known as antonyms
There are rules regulations and curbs
About nouns adjectives and verbs
Having a dictionary is not a cure-all
Putting an S after a noun doesn’t mean its plural
Using italics gives a sentence a lot more impact
It could be the biggest lie they’ll think its fact
Poetry essays compositions and prose
Quotations which of course you have to enclose
I wrote a poem today and left off one tittle
That’s a big mistake because the I was little
You’d better study English if you are going to be a programmer
And your father’s mother is not your grammar
The hoity toity would surely bring in regulation
And would ban forever the use of any abbreviation
The next time I write a story of fiction
I bet someone will criticize my diction
They’ll pick on me for pronunciation
They’ll also criticize my intonation
Of course some language snobs think I’m not in vogue
When I open my mouth and they hear my Irish brogue
The Gaelic Language of letters you know has only twenty
Even after leaving off J Q W X Y Z we still have plenty.

No comments:

Post a Comment