Wednesday, April 3, 2019

The Elphin Lass©2019TonyFallon0322


The Elphin Lass©2019TonyFallon0322

I first met Miss Bridey Murphy in the wee town of Elphin
My car broke down four years ago and her father took me in
He said there is a fine big spare bed room to the left upstairs
And before you retire for the night you'll join us in prayers

Very soon Bridget was putting layers of food on my plate
And when the father was not looking I asked her for a date
She shyly turned me down but appreciated the request
Saying her father didn't allow dates with any paying guest

All my wildest dreams were finally coming to pass
I was falling in love with this lovely Elphin lass

At breakfast I told her I was not a tenant anymore
She wouldn't be disobeying her father like the night before
She said I was truly a rogue but she liked my cunning style
She said she go to the movies and gave me a lovely smile

Well I got back that night and as soon as she got in the car
She said there's no movies in town lets drive to Dickie Beirne's Bar
The entertainers never stopped from the moment we came in
There were some singers and Sarah Egan on the violin


All my wildest dreams were finally coming to pass
I am madly in love with this lovely Elphin lass

I thought Bridey was a shy one but she sang two rebel songs
And one she wrote herself about the recent Strokestown wrongs
I thought I saw a miracle before me coming to pass 
I was falling madly in love with this lovely, Elphin lass

I work as a travelling salesman selling home heating oil
And I was searching for a little house somewhere around Boyle
That breakdown four years ago has radically changed my life
I bought a house in Boyle and I asked Bridey to be my wife

All my wildest dreams have finally come to pass
I am madly in love with this lovely Elphin lass


No comments:

Post a Comment