Monday, April 8, 2019

The Shovel©2019TonyFallon0408

The Shovel©2019TonyFallon0408

Once I was probably the finest shovel in the hardware store
With the rake the spade and fork in a tool rack inside the front door
The rake was proud of its strong ash teeth the fork of its fine wire tines
But I knew I was strong enough for work in the deepest coal mines

To be working deep down in the coal mines was not to be my lot
A fine big Irishman liked me so much he bought me on the spot 
I daily mucked out the pig sty and mixed a few bags of cement
But to lend me to any a neighbor he never would consent


The old man always took loving care of me made sure I didn't spoil
Never stored me dirty and coated my handle with linseed oil
The son left me out last Autumn which really is a scandal
I have snails crawling over my head and termites in my handle

He can't remember where he left me I covered with weeds and grass
Nobody can see me as I'm abandoned in a slight crevasse
As I lie here hidden in the roasting heat I'm very afraid
That I'll come to a dreadful finish, done in by a tractor blade

No comments:

Post a Comment