Saturday, May 25, 2019

The Game we couldn’t win©2019TonyFallon0525


The Game we couldn’t win©2019TonyFallon0525

I couldn’t stand up my knees were like jelly
I heard the match on the computer I wish I had a telly
I hardly missed a minute even heard the election results
My heart was racing wildly and so was my pulse

I’m not a religious man but I asked God more than once
To let the Roscommon lads win for the next few months
There have been heartbreaks before below in Castlebar
Many have faltered before let there be born a superstar

I knew from the beginning they were as hungry as bears
Running up and down McHale like hound dogs and hares
From one to fifteen they outperformed old enemy Mayo
Like the goalies namesake played there fifty seven years ago

Those last five minutes was the longest hour I’ve ever lived
My heart was strong enough and somehow I survived
When the final whistle blew I was far across the foam
I wish I was in the square this evening to welcome them home

Cunningham must be proud while you guys are tired and sore
You went into the enemy den and won who could ask for more
You beat the league champion’s one of Ireland’s very best
You are talked about even here in New York not just in the west

The men who have worn our colors have never soiled the shirt
They have played the game hard and fair with no intent to hurt
It’s been seventy five years now it’s past time to germinate
Let’s make this the year we go to Croke Park and finally celebrate

No comments:

Post a Comment