Sunday, April 10, 2022

TheTrainDriver©2022TonyFallon0410

 TheTrainDriver©2022TonyFallon0410


The cold dark night is coming fast so button up your coat

And please go wrap your woolen scarve tightly around your throat

That's what mother told me as I headed for the CIE track

To open the gates as trains went by from my little shack

The employment situation in the sixties was tight

I'd rather be working days, but I had to work at night

The pay was not great I do not think I made a fiver

I had my foot in the door I aimed to be a driver

Some boys may be in motor bikes more in automotive

I watched trains go by and wanted my own locomotive

Years later I drove the Westport train without suspension

And I drove it for forty years and went out on pension

East is east and west is west and never two trains shall meet

My view was like a postcard as I had the driver's seat

My trains were always on time never once did I postpone

Many places I saw but I came back home to Athlone

I built my house in the country not too far from the tracks

Now I watch trains as I sit in my old chair and relax

No comments:

Post a Comment