Friday, June 22, 2018

Grandma Knows (The Shadow) © Tony Fallon 062218

Grandma Knows © Tony Fallon 062218
 I don't think the sun ever shone in Ireland until I was four
Because I do not remember ever being outside the door
Then one fine day my mother angrily said "will you PLEASE go out?"
I did not proceed fast enough suddenly she began to shout
What is a little four year old to do in the big outside world?
I knew nothing then about football and I certainly hadn't hurled
As I sat beside a big cock of hay thinking my end was night
This big thing they said was the sun suddenly appeared in the sky
My mother hurried out of the house so happy she was dancing
And making the sign of the cross as at the sky she was glancing
This is the woman who before was threatening to kill or main
And now is all excited because in the sky there is a flame
When I started to move towards her I found myself in a bind
I could sense there was something very odd following close behind
I turned it was right there in front of me then something very weird
When I got to the cock of hay it just suddenly disappeared
I did not know if this dark phantom was a blessing or a plague
When I asked my mother to talk about it she was very vague
She said it was a shadow and I'd have it till the day I die
Except on dark rainy days when there would be no sun in the sky
That evening my mother said stay inside but I was defiant
I got a scare once I went out my shadow was now a giant
I didn't know if this was an angel or a devil sent specter
But Grandma said the answer was it was my Godly protector
It will do everything I do it was just an imitator
I wasn't worried any more it was just an impersonator


No comments:

Post a Comment