Friday, June 29, 2018

The lifeguard © TonyFallon 062918.


The lifeguard © TonyFallon 062918.

I was sitting vigilant in my lifeguard's chair
Enjoying the scenery and the fresh sea air
When I heard the cry there's a swimmer in trouble
I went racing to the ocean on the double
On the beach there was a young girl sobbing
Out in the ocean there was one head bobbing
She said it was her younger sister
She tried to grab but had missed her
I blew my whistle for more assistance
And ran towards the head in the distance
I dived through the incoming wave
Praying to God I could make this save
When I broke the water I was well prepared 
She was ten feet away trashing and scared
She had a yellow inflated type of rubber vest
It might keep her afloat but I was not impressed
This was pure trouble if she didn't calm down
She could drag me under and we both would drown
While she trashed she would probably stay afloat
All would be well if the others launched the boat
I told her relax this is real you're not dreaming
You'll have to breathe deeply and please stop screaming 
I told her I could save her but only if she spoke
I asked her if she knew how to do the backstroke
She said she was eighteen and her name was Trish
Her legs were swollen she had been stung by jelly fish
I said we are going that way as I pointed to the shore
Now start doing the backstroke like you've done before
On shore hundreds were now causing a commotion
I said to Trish lets get out of here I'm tired of this ocean
I pushed and pulled and swam like never before
And a big incoming wave dumped us both on shore
Within a few days she was no worse for wear
And she and her sister often visit my high chair
Since that day my life has gone from dull to swell
I'm the talk of the beach and I'm known quite well
There is nothing like being in the right place and time
When I go into the bars now I don’t have to spend a dime
Every day there are beauties sunning in my piece of sand
And when pictures are being taken I'm in great demand.
The paper posted my picture above a fine big spread
And I've had a few proposals to settle down and wed.

No comments:

Post a Comment