Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Grandpa © Tony Fallon 030618

Grandpa © Tony Fallon 030618

Grandpa and I sat in the kitchen which was cold
The only pair of boots he owned he had just resoled
The summer was not over it was the middle of July
There wasn’t much of a fire the turf was in short supply

They lived far away from the bog twenty miles by road
They bought some turf from Dugra bog just one big lorry load
So the fire was also kept going with wood from fallen trees
The odor of smoke from the fire was carried far on the breeze

We had very little in common I still hadn’t started to school
And I was afraid to talk in case he would think me a fool
We lived many miles away and to visit grandpa was rare
My mother had a fitting in Athleague and I was under his care

He asked if I could play checkers or any other board game
When he asked he said you I bet he couldn’t remember my name
When I said I could play checkers I could tell he was impressed
He said you have a good teacher your mother is one of the best

He got out the draft board I played my first game with the master
It lasted no more than five minutes in fact it might have been faster
That was not the last time we played that was not my last slaughter
And he was as good if not better than my mother his oldest daughter

He said you’ve got the basics and you’re not bad for such a wee lad
But you have plenty to learn from your mother and me your granddad
It was like a challenge was laid down as I sat in that old country seat

I wish I could go back in time and with grandpa once more compete

No comments:

Post a Comment