Monday, March 19, 2018

Haunted© Tony Fallon031918

Haunted© Tony Fallon031918

I often cycled on my bicycle undaunted
 By graveyards and houses that were haunted
At least that what I told my young sister and brother
But I was not fooling my father or my mother
While they may not be very easy to scare
When they went out at night it was as a pair
On dark nights any noise gave a great big fright
But it was better if you had a good flashlight
My father was not a native of the community
And was told scary stories at every opportunity
They had him convinced next door was a banshee
And that it was unlucky to touch the blackthorn tree
They told him never to go close to the fairy fort
Because they would play tricks on him just for sport
He never left our happy home on the feast of Halloween
He was convinced the wee people that night were mean
With an attitude like that from the head of the household
You can imagine that our Halloween activity was controlled
Today the youth sometimes hang out without regard
And even damaged headstones in the local graveyard
In our time that was a place to reflect and pray
If disrespectful you’d be haunted until your dying day


No comments:

Post a Comment