Sunday, March 4, 2018

The used bicycle © 030418 Tony Fallon

The used bicycle © 030418 Tony Fallon

A few years ago
On a warm summer day
A boy I knew showed up at my store
He had a bicycle that had seen better days
And nights
The front wheel was beyond repair
He wanted me to buy it
So he could buy another at Walmart
I told him if he gave me a few dollars
I’d throw it in my garbage since I have to pay
An Irish American heard the conversation
And bought a bicycle from me
And gave it to him
When I asked him why
He said “I remember this Irish American kid
In the Bronx about 25 yeas ago etc etc etc”
I said “you should have told him
He’d have to mow your father’s lawn a few times.”
That summer went by
And so did September AND October
That kid even though he passed on foot and riding
Never spent a nickel in my store
And I sell a full line of bicycle parts
In November he showed up
With the remains of a bicycle
No brakes one pedal missing flat in front
He wanted a refund
So I played along
Did he have the receipt?
Why did he need the money?
He was going to buy a new one at Walmart
“Oh  I remember now’  I said
“Leave it here and I’ll give the money
To the nice man who paid for it”
He didn’t leave the bicycle
And he never returned
He probably didn’t like
My store’s Customer Service.


No comments:

Post a Comment