Saturday, February 17, 2018

A day at the Track © Tony Fallon 021718

A day at the Track © Tony Fallon 021718

My wife said as I walked out the door if you go to the track you’re in trouble
I said why do you think I’m leaving so early? I want to be there for the double
When I started to look at the form I see a filly named My Wild Irish Lass
She had never won a race in her life but she was moving away down in class

The form said she did poorly in summer but got placed a few times in winter
She didn’t do well in long races this six furlongs might prove her a sprinter
I had never heard of the trainer and the jokey was a Mexican named Jesus
I’d kill myself if I bet against her if she won that means I would lose

The next race was only for jumpers which is called a steeplechase
If I was to hit the double I needed this winner it was no good to place
Number two was called The Cobbler he was foaled at home in Kildare
So I put my faith hope and ten dollars on this very strange Irish pair

I realize I had all my eggs in one basked I be finished if either one fell
Then I probably wouldn’t be allowed home I might wind up in a motel
The two that I played were long shots if they won it would be a jackpot
It wouldn’t pay off as much but a two dollar ticket on the Lass I then bought

Well she behaved well for the starter and jumped right out of the gate
Before they had gone two furlongs she was ahead by seven or eight
Jesus just couldn’t hold her he didn’t even get a chance to look back
And when they got to the finish line they were far ahead of the pack

There wasn’t too much cheering she went off at almost thirty to one
And I was stuck in the Club House watching the race being rerun
I now had almost fifty dollar more in my pocket maybe the start of progress
If today is my lucky day in half an hour there will be much more success

Now if The Cobbler at ten to one wins this wild dream is complete
I don’t want him to go too fast I just want him to stay on his feet
He stood out among the others with the jockeys’ green and white shirt
Within the first mile some had fallen and he was all covered with dirt

To make the three mile race shorter we’ll move on to the very last fence
The Cobbler was maybe three lengths behind I was feeling quite tense
The leader took the fence like he was Arkle then tripped and fell flat on his face
And the great Cobbler who was born in Kildare won the steeplechase Race




No comments:

Post a Comment