Saturday, February 10, 2018

The English Writer © Tony Fallon 021018


The English Writer © Tony Fallon 021018

Had I known I was going to be a writer with all this glamour
I'd have paid better attention to vocab,spelling and grammar

There were good books in the library that I should have read
Not comics by flashlight under the blanket by night in my bed
I would never have wasted time on subtraction and addition
And used the dictionary and thesaurus on composition
Of course at that time I thought a thesaurus was a Latin bull
Or a wild sheep on a Brazilian mountains with angora wool
Where to use the apostrophe often led to complications
But there were other larger problems with other punctuations
I certainly would have used synonyms for wordy refinements
On all my overnight or weekend and home work assignments
I did okay with stories and poems but not good with dramas
And I never figured how many words go between two commas
One Monday night I asked my mother about a semi colon
She said I think that is a small intestine that is swollen
The teacher often seemed to have her features out of joint
Because of my wrong use of the stop or the exclamation point
She often said my dangling participles should never be seen
I was so embarrassed to hear something so obscene
ITS' is not IT'S, THEY'RE or THEIR isn't used for THERE
I don't think a TO plus a TOO will ever add up TWO a FORE
Question should start with what, why, would, should or could
You show you weren't attentive by using the wrong WOOD
Some use sentences with long and complicated explanations
Someone else uses a long string of simple abbreviations
Should the question mark be inside or outside the quotations?
I still don't understand half the English language regulations
I often write some long sentence that can be over half a page
I don't know when is enough or when to stop or disengage
There are rules and more rules which you cannot circumvent
We must all stick with them regardless of how we lament
Still there is one unwritten law of absolute magnificence
All us poets are protected from errors by poetic license



No comments:

Post a Comment