Wednesday, February 14, 2018

The Kitchen Table © Tony Fallon 021418

The Kitchen Table © Tony Fallon 021418

The kitchen was the most import room in most Irish homes
That’s why it is mentioned so often in Irish songs and poems
They write about the hearth and the big roaring fire
And the last cup of tea at night before you would retire
How about the glass case with all the cups and plates
And letters in a rubber band from children in the States
But the most important thing to me was the kitchen table
Round which we’d sit each night to hear a story or a fable
It was made of heavy wood with real knots and grains
Made with love by my father with chisels and planes
Yong days were full of surprises but what could compare
To the day you were big enough to sit in a kitchen chair
You could now look out the window to see the cows and ass
I know I learned more at the kitchen table than I did in class
I remember the early board games like snakes and ladders
I know it was a simple game but it made us better adders
While children in America were being introduces to crafts
We were sitting at the kitchen table trying to learn drafts
When you took your finger off the man you had moved
The adults were so happy when you showed you had improved
It was around the same table that we learned twenty five
And often in our parlor we had a pre Christmas card drive
One of my mother’s famous turkey cocks would be first prize
To play your cards badly that night would be very unwise
The final round would be the highlight of that magic night
Played on the kitchen table beneath the tilly light
Beneath that same lamp I read Long John on Treasure Island
And the Scots fighting the English on the Scottish Highland
I never needed to lie in bed and count jumping sheep
I often read Grimm stories at the table until I fell asleep
We gathered there one early morning in the month of May
To hear the second heavyweight match between Liston and Clay
I remember another dark night there which I never have forgot
When I heard on the radio from the USA that Kennedy had been shot
But the days spent round that table had many days and nights of bliss
And my thoughts return with the song Memories are made of this




No comments:

Post a Comment