Monday, February 26, 2018

The New Yank © Tony Fallon022618

The New Yank © Tony Fallon022618

I took pictures of the plane as it came in towards the ground
When it passed over my head I kept snapping as I turned around
The sound was ear splitting my ear drums almost burst
Then the plane touched down you were in America over the worst

Those five long years and all the paperwork were truly worth the wait
And my heart nearly burst with love as you finally walked out the gate
I hardly recognized you; you somehow seemed a wee bit slighter
And instead of rosy cheeks your face looked so much whiter

Five long years is a long time without being kissed or embraced
And I never wanted to let go of you again as I held you by the waist
You marveled at all the different people there all milling around
It must be a cultural shock coming from a little Irish country town

On the Van Wyck and Grand Central you were full of fascination
And I hardly got to say a word until we got to our Yonkers destination
Later you said you weren’t hungry and you barely touched your plate
And then who walked in later but your third cousins from upstate

The next few days were a whirlwind as I showed you all the sights
We went around Manhattan on a boat and went to Broadway most nights
Amid all this travelling day and night you rarely wanted to eat
And when you did it was always a plate of vegetables not a bit of meat

Your eating habits were bothering me and I wanted to have a chat
You said there wasn’t a thing to worry about you were already far too fat
I also noticed you were having far too many bathroom episodes
When I mentioned all this to my sister she said those were warning codes

I also mentioned to my doctor and he advised not to be in a rush to marry
And a word I barely recognized anorexia entered my vocabulary
We were lucky enough you faced your problem and addressed my concern

And I know somehow we’ll get thought this but we both have a lot to learn

No comments:

Post a Comment