Wednesday, February 21, 2018

The Swallow© Tony Fallon 022118

The Swallow© Tony Fallon 022118

In the cold of winter the last apple must fall from the tree
By this time summer is gone and so is the wasp and bee
When it lands far below it’s broken and its life is over
The weeds have died on the stalk there is no grass or clover
No birds are singing in the trees or in the sullen sky
The winter sure is dreary I wish it was June or July
The neighbors talk of temperature and their aches and pains
If we all had more money we could fly to Florida on planes
I remember how much fun we had together in the summer
You just appeared one day in our town you were a newcomer
You were a breath of fresh air prettier than the prettiest rose
We sat by the river and read to each other poetry and prose
When summer came to an end you got the urge to leave
You were like the bees and the birds I honestly believe
My heart felt like the apple all broken on the cold ground
I had to stay behind while you left and headed south bound.
You are not at all like the trees you are more like the fruits
I don’t think you are the kind that will ever set down roots
To have someone like you at all I never would have guessed
To be with you for one summer I really felt so blessed
So fly away my summer beauty to stay I shall not plea
You are like the birds in the sky you have to be free
Maybe you’ll come back in spring relaxed and unstressed
And like a returning swallow seek out our summer nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment