Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Rock and Roll©TonyFallon 080818

Rock and Roll©TonyFallon 080818


I've been on radio since the seventies this is my fortieth year
I know this is a young man's game but I will never disappear.
I been on many stations spinning discs LP's singles and tapes
They have Audacity running which shows the sound in wavy shapes
Since that day I started things have changed so much they now have CD's
I still haven't mastered the IPod but I'm catching up on the mp3's
My show is on the internet so it's heard on Erin's shore
I don't have to send them recorded cassettes for broadcast anymore
You can guess I'm Irish but in the bathtub I'm a secret musician
And sing into the back scratcher like I was at a high class audition
I sing the Irish love songs as well as Kenny Rogers and also soul
But I'm never really grooving until I get into Rock and Roll
You can go through Abba to the Zombies with so much talent in between
And songs like Hold your hand Rock around the clock and Dancing Queen
Who can forget legends like Elvis Jerry Lee and of course Bill Haley
Twisting with Chubby and tiptoeing with Tiny Tim and his ukulele
Who can forget the mop heads from Liverpool nicknamed the lads
Who got their Irish sounding names from their very Irish Dads?
Rory Gallagher Buddy Holly Chuck Berry all had God's gifts
They with Prince Atkins and Perkins played incredible riffs
Names that will live forever are Clapton Hendrix and Bowie
And the leader of the Ramones I think his name was Joey
That era brought us the likes of Ringo, Rod, Neil and Billy Joel
Orbison, Dylan, Cosby Stills Nash and Young and Nat King Cole
Who cannot get high as Mick Jagger sings about getting no Satisfaction?
If I smoked the stuff he did I'd probably have a different reaction
One time our elders thought Rock and Roll was fatally hurt 
After the wild weekend of drugs and music in the Woodstock dirt
But Rock and Roll did not go away in fact it continued to thrive
It's rumored death was premature and it still continues to survive
The era combined the best of singer's musicians and writing
I think we were lucky to have lived though years so exciting
No matter how long I make this poem there will surely be omissions
There will not be another era with such talented musicians.

No comments:

Post a Comment