Tuesday, August 21, 2018

The Girl in the Donut Shop © TonyFallon 082118


The Girl in the Donut Shop © TonyFallon 082118

The Girl in the Donut Shop ©TonyFallon 082118……..Another Tony Fallon Poem.


I remember the day I met you, you were cold and chilled
you were too far out on Route 32 you could have been killed
I was on the way to New York on one of my rare trips
and had just stopped at the store for a bag of fish and chips



I could tell you were troubled from your facial expression
And they way you were thumbing was very close to aggression
I couldn't imagine you were not aware of the awful danger
of a pretty girl like you accepting a ride from a stranger



I asked you how far you were going you said you didn't care
You had a row with your parents and wanted out of their hair
You said you hadn't eaten and I could tell you'd love the fries
So I gave them over to you  and decided I would not criticize

I asked where you intended to live and you said somewhere in Queens 
And if things didn't work out there you'd volunteer for the marines
You said you had no college but you had a High School Diploma
And you had worked nights in the Pizzeria know as Roma

Well I dropped you off in Flushing at a well known Holiday Inn
I said I'd come the next day at five in case you'd go home again
Well I didn't make it on time but you were there at half past five
I could tell by the big smile you were happy to see me arrive 

You had spoken to your parents and said the rules were far too strict
And you couldn't take the constant family fighting and conflict
So they promised they would change and there would be no more insults
And you would all try to live together like three mature adults.



You said you would like to come along but that was no surprise
you had a big bag from McDonald's with Filet-o-Fish and fries
I guess that was a payback gift and I was a bit amused 
also you were a lot more focused and a little less confused



Well the return trip to the Cairo town was certainly not as glum
and you told me all about Grandpa and your father and your mum
now every morning when I get a bagel in Dalton’s Donut Place
I'm so happy to see the new girl with a big smile on her face






No comments:

Post a Comment