Sunday, August 12, 2018

Ten Years ago© Tony Fallon081218

Ten Years ago© Tony Fallon081218

She said "I don't love you any more Johnny" and slammed down the phone
I came to conclude that night I'd probably be sleeping alone
Minutes later she was on again saying "you didn't put out the trash
You were also supposed to leave a credit card or three hundred cash"
This is the way things were shaping up five days after the honeymoon
Ten years ago after a fiery romance and a big wedding in June
I loved her big blue eyes her rosy cheeks and her flaming red Irish hair
She had a real Irish temper and with the best of men she could swear

The apartment was furnished with many castaways and hand me downs
And to furnish it to look fairly modern we had two thousand pounds
To try to accomplish this” angry wife” had taken off an extra week
Most of our stuff barely functioned it was very old but not antique
I sent her a text saying if she had cooled down and wanted to talk
She had better pick up the phone when I called at eleven o'clock
I said "if this is going to work you must have a little trust
Go over to the sideboard and pick up John F Kennedy's bust"

Well when she came back to the phone she was as sweet as apple pie
And she told me she didn't hate me anymore long before we said goodbye
She must have meant what she said because for dinner there was steak
And she kept asking for forgiveness for the morning's big mistake
She had gone to many furniture stores and opened up accounts
And found one down on Talbot Street that gave newly weds discounts
So I suggested she buy as much as she could from that store
And we'd continue to make love on the mattress on the floor


The store brought the furniture and a gift of dishes and knives
We often looked back on that bump as we moved on with our lives
The years have gone by quickly and we never had a major glitch
We managed to buy a house but I don't think we'll ever be rich
We have two lovely daughters each as lovely and smart as their mother
And I am the happiest man we are going to have another
Now I do love my daughters dearly and we have a whole lot of fun
But there's an awesome lot of other things a man can do with a son

No comments:

Post a Comment