Tuesday, August 28, 2018

The Wild West ©TonyFallon082818.


The Wild West ©TonyFallon082818.

It was fast approaching midnight we had been playing poker since noon
Nobody cared if it rained or snowed outside we were in Miss Kitty's Saloon
The pile of money in front of me had raised and recently declined
But I had twenty more in my boot but if I lost that I'd lose my mind
They told me in New York that the real action was out in the Wild West
And if I wanted to play honest poker Dodge City was far the best
I was now at a big table with Bat Masterson and the man called Doc
And if my money lasted we could be there until five or six o'clock
We were playing no wild cards just honest to goodness seven card stud 
So far everybody had been mannerly on the ground there was no blood
Wyatt Earp collected guns at the door so there would be no disruption
Of course Bat and Doc were not challenged a little Wild West corruption
It was my turn to deal and I flipped them once or twice being real cool
Doc smiled and said "don't deal from the bottom son unless you are a fool"
Well that little piece of his advice worked wonders brought me down to earth
I started to fret and wondered how I got involved far from my land of birth
Well I dealt out the hands to Doc an ace and myself a red ten shown
Away on the right was the only other Irishman Ned from Tyrone
When I saw two black tens in the hole I knew I'd certainly be contending
So I had better get that twenty out because in Dodge there was no lending 
I explained to all and sundry that I had some money hidden in my boot
Because with Bat and The Doc at the table any strange move and they'd shoot
Doc again flashed me his big broad smile and said "don't try anything too smart
Or there will be a big hole in your shirt right in front of your Irish heart"
There was a bet and one raise and in my stomach there was a big knot

I didn't want to scare anybody out by raising I wanted a fine big pot
The next deal helped nobody but Doc because he got a big fat red ace
He never changed expression that man gave nothing away with his face
While some players raised the bet on the table I kept saying "I'll see"
If Doc had another Ace in the hole that means he already had three
I had paid no attention to my fourth card and now I could barely relax
The fifth card matched nicely with it I now also had a nice pair of jacks
Well I was down to my last three dollars when they made the final call 
I was playing there would be no more raises to St Peter and St Paul
If I go back to DODGE for poker I don't think I can deal there again
Because while the full house would have won the pot the last card was also a ten



No comments:

Post a Comment