Monday, April 16, 2018

The Grand National © Tony Fallon 041618

The Grand National © Tony Fallon 041818

I watched the Grand National Steeplechase. What a thrilling finish
As I watched the leaders big lead slowly diminish
No truer word was ever said than to the victor go the spoils
If it had been ten feet longer the runners up would have smiles
It brought me back to sixty three when at sixty six to one
After jumping flawlessly Ayala came from behind and won
That winner wasn’t popular to bet him wasn’t common
Tommy Morris and I were the only two who bet him in Roscommon
There were other great years who can forget Taffee and Draper
Their pictures were for many days in every local Irish paper
I think it was from Ballydoyle came the famous Vincent O’Brien
Who for three years in a row kept the English bookies crying?
Then Mr. Vincent O’Brien must have come to his senses
He started racing on the flat and gave up the fences
Who can forget other Irish horses? I was such a fan
I remember Quare Times Mr. What and the brave Royal Tan
Listening on the radio as they jumped Beecher’s Brook or the chair
The hair would stand on my neck when I’d hear Michael O’Heir
The Irish horses still continue to be a credit to their trainers
And to the Irish Jockeys and others little lads on retainers
To prove my point completely even though we Irish like to boast

This year we swept the table we had the first four past the post

No comments:

Post a Comment