Friday, October 12, 2018

Gone © Tony Fallon 101117

Gone © Tony Fallon 101117
I often sit here and cry
Since the day you said goodbye
Nothing that I do gives me delight
Things sure are not the same
And I oft call out your name
When I dream in the middle of the night
I still remember everything you wore
As you said goodbye then walked out the door
One moment here the next moment gone
I wanted to give you your space
I didn’t think you’d leave without a trace
And I thought that you would return by the dawn
What terrible words did I say?
That made you go away
Without a single word of reply
I wish you would stop by and explain
You know I wouldn’t force you to remain
I have never cheated and I never told a lie
I never will forget
That first day we met
In Shea to see the Mets and Yankees play
It was called the Subway Series
But I have my own theories
It was fate that brought us there that day
I asked you if the seat was taken
Or if somehow I was mistaken
I could not believe one so beautiful would be alone
You were a Yankee fan I was for the Mets
When the day was over I had no regrets
I was so shy I almost didn’t ask for your phone
Remember days we spent
On a mountain in a tent
As we sang love songs beneath the stars
We sang about the Okie from Muscokie
In the Shamrock on the Karaoke
Then sang rebel songs at other Irish bars
There is so much about you that I miss
Having you beside me was real bliss
But still, I thank the Lord for being blessed
Love can grow from a chance meeting
Yet even true love can also be fleeting
You see I know I‘ve somehow lost the very best.

No comments:

Post a Comment