Saturday, October 20, 2018

The Leitrim Coast©TonyFallon 102018


The Leitrim Coast©TonyFallon 102018

I remember vey sadly leaving the Leitrim coast
When I was only twenty and Peggy was my treasure
There were many places I would miss but Tullaghan most
The place where I wanted us to be forever together

We'd go to Kinlough for a ride or Bundoran to a dance
We often went down to the sea and walked along the coast
Or discuss going overseas in the summer to maybe France
When you are far away those are times you really miss the most

But the farm was a little boggy and I was not the elder
And the days of splitting up Irish farms has long gone past
That night beneath the moon I said i'd return as I held her
And realized our time together was passing very fast

Four days later in Brooklyn I left home with hob nail boots
With my brother Bill beside me as we headed for a site
I felt self-conscious amidst flowered dresses and striped suits
My brother said we don't know them or they us so it's all right

On the New York building sites the money easily flowed
But the cost of living eats away at the big fat check
When I was back in Leitrim I didn't carry such a heavy load
I was so far up a person on the street looked like a little speck

Peggy is still waiting but now she's working in Dingle
To buy a decent farm in Leitrim is still my big desire
And Peggy is still waiting and we both are still single
I have enough for the house a ring and wedding attire



No comments:

Post a Comment