Thursday, October 4, 2018

The Galway sand 061218 © Tony Fallon


The Galway sand 061218  © Tony Fallon

I saw you first in Galway sitting there in the Salthill sand
When I was on a short vacation in the west of Ireland
Your boyfriend looked like a boxer I was intimidated
For him to go into the water I patiently waited 
To leave without at least meeting you I was not inclined
Because if I didn't meet you I would surely lose my mind
I could not think properly my racing brain was so confused 
I would have to ask you for a date even if you refused
This had to be pure utter madness true love at the first sight
But that big strong bruiser with you I did not want to fight
Everybody was admiring you thank God I was not blind
I knew at that fateful moment you were one of a kind

He never went in to the water so I left depressed
I went back to my hotel room had a shower and got dressed
I finally got my friends together and headed for a bar
We meant to drink plenty of porter so I did not take the car
When we sat down at the corner table I saw you once again
Standing at the bar surrounded by six or seven young men
There was no mister muscle there now so at least I could dream
And I noticed your drink looked a bit like Baileys Irish Crème
I told the waiter to slyly go refill your Baileys Irish glass
Now you would be wondering who was the secret man with class
I surmised my mysterious offer would not be declined
By now I was totally convinced you were one of a kind.

When you went to the powder room I cut you off at the pass
And I told you I though you were a very pretty Irish lass
I thought it was so romantic the bashful way that you blushed
If you had rejected me there I would have been badly crushed
I asked you humbly if you were single married or engaged
Or would the boxing man be jealous or worse still be enraged?
Then you started laughing loudly and you laughed like no other
You said the boxer there today was your one and only brother
Already he had gone back to Dublin to train for his next fight
Then when I asked for a date you agreed to my great delight
I learned so much about your family that evening when we dined
I think God must have sent me to Galway for my one of a kind

I found out you were coming to New York classified as J one
And that you were an athlete from Carlow who could really run 
Later it was off to Villanova to run as a sprinter
Running all over the East coast in the months of fall and winter
I told you I was close to Villanova I could see their dome
And I would be in the stands cheering when ever you ran at home
You said we could only be friends as this was a life changing chance
A scholarship at Villanova so there could be no romance
By now I was willing to wait for you and I quickly agreed
And I cheered so often in those stands at your amazing speed
The years have gone by quickly since the day you quietly resigned
I think our daughter nicknamed Gazelle is also one of a kind

No comments:

Post a Comment