Sunday, October 14, 2018

School Days ©TonyFallon101418


School Days ©TonyFallon101418

You and I probably would have sat together in the same class
But I was from Barnacullen and you were born in Ballglass
When I heard you had to go to Ballymurray I thought I'd perish
I had to go to Rahara a completely different parish
We were both Catholic families but our church was not yours
And to this day in the twenty first century this practice still endures
I often attended your mass but you never came to hear our priest
The only time your relatives came was when someone was deceased
We lived next door to each other and I could not fully comprehend
How an imaginary line decides which school neighbor's kids attend
Your father went to Rahara School the same time as my mother
And my grandfather was in the same class as your granny's brother
On further investigation I found out the parents still had a choice
You could be sent to either school but their teachers were considered nice.
I knew more children in your school district than I did in my own
And we continued those friendships when we were all fully grown
So out of a generation no Ballyglass children ever attended
Now your village's students attending Rahara has completely ended
Some of the parents had gone to the school and stayed for graduation
But would not send their own children without a change of administration
Of course by going to Ballymurray you children's journey was all road
And you didn't have to cross Kelly's farm like us where the river overflowed


No comments:

Post a Comment