Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Halloween Long Ago© TonyFallon 103018

Halloween Long Ago© TonyFallon 103018
I remember nineteen sixty two I was just past eighteen
And I had a secret date with a lovely girl named Pauline
Her father didn't like me at all so together we couldn't be seen
It was a cold and chilly winter's night it was also Halloween
In the field in front of the graveyard was a fine big cock of hay
There was also many cut down trees to sit on so that's where we'd stay
We were too wise not to think any ghost was usually a faker
Sure the scariest man I ever met was Jim Smith the undertaker
We stayed on the far side of the hay because we weren't supposed to be smoking
There was nothing too serious going on we were just codding and joking
I asked Pauline what would happen if a passerby saw two cigarette coals
They'd be telling every one next day about the two red eyes on some souls.
Every so often we'd hear a yahoo from some gobshite throwing cabbage
That was a crazy custom we held onto from the days when we were savage
At home I'm sure the young brothers and sisters were bobbin for an apple
While my mother was longing for them to go to bed to be up in the morning for chapel
One of us must have been careless when we threw away a cigarette butt
But nobody knew we were there and both of us kept our mouths shut
The cock of hay was soon engulfed in fire the flame could be seen for miles
I send Pauline home and began stacking the nearby wood into piles
Well the fire caused a great commotion that it should happen on such a night
And nobody there would go near the graveyard so late without so much light
The incident is talked about to this very day and brought on the parish gloom
Somebody swore they saw an old woman dressed in black fly away on a broom
All I know is Pauline and I never came under the slightest suspicion
Since nobody asked us any questions we didn't have to make any admission
She got out of the field as fast as she could and didn't get burned or stressed
And everybody still thinks it was the witch lit it and you know I think that's best
The incident has been talked about for decades and has now become folklore
And people come from miles away to see the witch and stay there until four
Pauline and I reminisce if we confessed I doubt we be in any trouble
But some people also believe in a Lough Ness monster so why burst their bubble

No comments:

Post a Comment