Wednesday, January 9, 2019

The Big Game©2019TonyFallon0109


The Big Game©2019TonyFallon0109

I was togged out at full forward for the Roscommon team
I shot a rasper towards the goal fell down and got up slowly
The ball was in the back of the net so was the Dublin goalie
We were not the least bit intimidated by our more famous hosts
The ball hopped our way once or twice and we were saved by the posts
We went after every breaking ball like a pack of hungry dogs
Nobody on the team was afraid to get grass stains on his togs
 When the half time whistle blew we were ahead by six points
Dublin was going to lose the crown to us Connaught giants
As we trooped off the field at half time the cheering started to grow
It looked like for the Dublin team there would be no five in a row
During the second half we dominated and points I now had nine
I was having a field day out on the left with free balls from the line
I thought I was getting a penalty but the umpires did not agree
But I promptly got an important point from the resultant free
We were like a well oiled machine and us forwards oft combined
We kept the umpires busy with flags and we never fell behind
This would be our day to remember two greats Dermot and Gerry
For we had already taken care of Mayo Tyrone and Kerry
I was thinking my picture would be in the papers in the morning
And after waiting seventy years there would be no more mourning
There would be more delight in Kiltoom than the visit of DeValera
And I'd be the toast for weeks in Knockcroghery St John's and Rahara
But as they scored some points and got close it became intense
And sometimes all fifteen of us were back there on defense
Two points down with seconds to go they were desperate for a goal
A shot from the full forward took the paint off the wrong side of the pole
I really enjoyed that All Ireland final....alas it was a dream


No comments:

Post a Comment