Thursday, January 10, 2019

The Good Old Days©2019TonyFallon0110.


The Good Old Days©2019TonyFallon0110.

I remember walking to Roscommon town once or twice
That possibly was because I had no two wheeled device
That wasn't a journey you'd be looking forward to with thrills
It was at least eight miles each way and there were many hills 
We did not live on a mountain but it was not the plains
And coming to our village there were no buses or trains
I'd be talking now about nineteen fifty three or four
I'd be going most likely for comics in Higgins' store
I'd spend time in the library reading Anderson books
Or cowboys and Indians and big sheriffs shooting crooks
The cars in our parish were run by farmers and the priest
I don't know if they owned them outright or they had them leased
They must have owned them all outright no car was impounded
If that happened to the teacher we'd have been astounded
As a teenage I was healthy and in tip top physique 
To school and working I cycled a hundred miles a week
Between school and work that was more than five years pedaling 
I cycled twenty five thousand miles that is unsettling
You can tell youth of past hardships with sayings and cliches
I doubt you can convince them that those were "the good old days"

No comments:

Post a Comment