Monday, January 28, 2019

The storyteller ©2019TonyFallon0128


The storyteller ©2019TonyFallon0128



My real name is Tony O'Fallon and I'm an Irish Feller
Everybody knows an Irishman sings or is a storyteller
We can tell you sad or scary stories that will reduce you to tears
Or scary ones about my grandfather who is dead for twenty years
My father could tell the wildest lies imagined that was his style
I think he believed half of them himself he never cracked a smile
One night sixty years ago he told a neighbor a big one after work
And I had to tell him the truth last year when he visited New York
He acted like he had been betrayed but maybe he was having me on
Maybe this is a story I'm making up, but you can't check he's gone

Most of the stories we tell each other are designed to bring a laugh
And you'd have a full-time job in Ireland if you owned a polygraph
Most of the comical stories are told after a big pint of beer
And even though you didn't like scary stories still they'd persevere
If you think the beer stories are mean don't wait ‘till he drinks poteen
And starts talking about the leprechaun with the portable guillotine

My specialty is telling stories about the banshee's lonely chilling cry
Which sounds like many cats fighting, and means you are going to die
People who believe in the banshee lead lives that are tormented
After horrific dreams of dying they wake up disoriented
Another contentious issue in Ireland was the weeping statues
Often found not too far from bars where they were promoting booze
Other strange occurrences are saints and heavenly apparitions
Seen by children who are late for school, so I have my suspicions
I often woke up myself on peaceful nights and heard strange noises
And from the closet in my sister's room heard very strange voices

Some ghosts come and go and are very rarely naughty or malicious
Others come back as big black dogs and can be snarly and vicious
No matter where you go there are odd people who could be possessed
The ghosts dwindled when electricity finally came to the west
You can be a non-believer and declare ghosts could not exist
Why can't the souls of dead relatives live peacefully in our midst?
Some of the ghosts in Irish stories are peaceful and not evil

But people won't walk certain roads alone in case they'd meet the devil



No comments:

Post a Comment