Thursday, September 27, 2018

092718 I Remember ©TonyFallon


092718   I Remember ©TonyFallon

I remember very well the day we said our last goodbye
The sun was shining brightly there was not a cloud nearby
I stayed there at Shannon until the plane was lost in the sky

I never moved a muscle I was glued to that one spot
It felt like a lifetime before your plane became a dot
As I prayed for your safety on the rosary beads you bought

I was only home two hours in Kenmare when the telephone rang
And together The Green hills of Kerry on the telephone we sang
And singing in the background were the whole Bronx Kerry gang

I loved the postcards you mailed which you specially selected
And the loves notes from far away made me feel connected
That you had another  man in your life I never  suspected

And then the letter came saying you were going to marry
And had no intention of coming home to my little dairy
And never more would we see you in the hills of Cork or Kerry

You said it wouldn't be proper for us to correspond anymore
And that you and your new husband were moving to the Jersey shore
And investing both of your savings into a big ice cream store

I never even went to America for a week end that is my one regret
But I cannot leave the cows un milked they are my major asset
And if anything should happen to the dairy I’d be in major debt

I never thought that afternoon we were sharing a last embrace
I never thought that overseas you'd disappear without a trace
And that you would never return once more to this lovely place





No comments:

Post a Comment