Monday, September 3, 2018

Going Home © Tony Fallon090318

Going Home © Tony Fallon090318
If I had money to burn, I'd stay away from fire
And I'd probably go back to Ireland and retire
If I had that kind of money I don' think I could wait 
To go over to Cork and buy Mike Flatley's fine estate
But I have enough saved to invest in a modest dwelling
And our house in Yonkers I am definitely selling
I was not happy leaving Ireland so many years ago
So I think I'd like to spend my days in Leitrim or Sligo
I'd bring along my loving wife my lifelong mate
If I brought someone else there would be a heated debate
If I would build a house I'd have to make it cozy
With a fence to keep out dogs and people that were nosy
And we know with new construction the total can go overboard
And prices that was quoted in estimates are often ignored
I'd probably settle for a house that's already built
If I had rent another house I'd feel a bit of guilt
We'd never get back the money we'd have to pay in rent
And that money could be used to make a pathway with cement
But if I buy an old house there it cannot have a ghost
And it would have to be in a spot that overlooks the coast
It would have to face the Atlantic with a breeze every day
Blowing across the ocean from New York in the USA
That's the place in America where for forty years I toiled
And when I'd get home tired and hungry my hands were often soiled
But the working man gets well paid and goes home content and proud
I wouldn't talk about a house in Leitrim if I stayed home and plowed

No comments:

Post a Comment