Wednesday, September 12, 2018

ANIMALS © Tony Fallon 091218


ANIMALS © Tony Fallon 091218

I was asked to write about animals but have a problem with correct words
I can not remember if birds are animals or animals are birds
And should I include fishy things that swim in water or snakes that crawl
Is the rhino too heavy the elephant too wide or the giraffe too tall?
Are the sharks and whales really animals or compared to fish like bass
When the subject was oceanography I must have been missing from class
Before I get away from fish there are crabs and other things in shells
Like the cockles and mussels and prawns served in Dublin's finest hotels
No one likes the pigeon or seagull but that's not the case with the dove
It's recognized by peace lovers and referred to by men who are in love
I don't want to see wild animals up close; in the Zoo I'm satisfied
I'd never ride on an elephant a horse or pony is all I will ride
There are wild animals there from China Chad Japan and Argentina
I bet many more of those creatures are laughing at us than the hyena
Out in the country are many flocks of wild geese and duck turkeys and swans
And in a pond near my house there is at least one frog that always spawns
And where oh where do we catalog the monster in Scotland's Lough Ness
They say she eat three fishermen last week but there was no SOS
One day I saw a wee creature to catch him I'd need to determine
If he was a weasel or was about to turn into an ermine
Then there is also this fish eater who is never found in salt water
He almost looks like a seal but upstate he is known as an otter
If I had my way I would bring St Patrick to drive away the snakes
They say he drove them into the Irish sea he could also use the lakes
The lion and the tiger the Boa and the asp are things people hate
Whether they are roaming in Africa's jungles or an Indian state
You will never catch me in any foreign countries on a Safari
Of course those people have bodyguards and one or two Ferrari
I have not talked about the domestics like the pigs and sheep and cows
The donkeys pulling carts of turf the horses pulling harrows and plows
I've talked about the exotic animal and birds the tame and the wild
I've talked about the ones we clearly love and the ones who are reviled
There is one I did not mention who sleeps all day is lazy and gets fat
And does nothing for nothing for nobody the regular household cat 
That concludes the story of the animals and I'm coming to the end 
And I will end this poem by mentioning the dog who is mans best friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment