Thursday, September 13, 2018

wgxc radio station



WGXC by Tony Fallon.Sometime in 2015

About five years ago I learned with great elation,
That Columbia-Greene was getting a new radio station.
So I decide to talk to the busiest man a Mr. Tom Roe,
And asked him quite bravely about me having, a weekly Irish show.
He said “why should we have an Irish show on WGXC, Tony Fallon?”
So I told him about Kitty Kelly, Tara Gold and Foster and Allen.
I told him that I had records by the likes of Carmel Quinn,
Paddy Noonan, Richie O’Shea and even Martin Flynn.
We would also play the 3 Tenors, who could sing so very loud,
As well as Louis Brown, Frank Patterson and Kenny McLeod.
We’d get the touring talent from all the East Durham shows,
And play the lively jigs and reels in the winter when it snows.
I’d mention the ceilis, The Art Week and Saturday night dances
And from Jennifer in the gift shop get cassettes of Marie Francis.
Dermot Henry would sing to us about his mother from Mayo
Or that other lovely song about the Green Hills of Sligo
I’d play Pat Roper and Mary McGonigle both of Scottish stock
And often play One Day at a Time and The Lady of Knock.
I’d interview guests from afar and take requests on the phones,
And when I needed rebel songs I’d cue up the Wolfe Tones.
I’d have football and hurling results every Sunday night,
And if anybody important was in The Garden I’d mention the fight.
Well he sized me up and said “you’ve got a good line of Baloney
But how can I have an Irish Radio show with a host named Tony?”.
And now the station is on the air and I’m the Irish host,
It’s also on the net so I’m heard in Ireland coast to coast.
I put on the first show on WGXC on a February nigh,
And I can tell you first hand that the host was full of fright.
And then to make it worser I made a whole lot of mistakes,
But everybody loved the first song about Killarney’s Lakes.
Then over the next few days I got requests to keep the show ongoing,
And with word of mouth and promotion the audience keeps growing.
There are all kinds of programs here of this and that, who knows,
They will even tell how an onion, or a potato or a carrot grows.
There’s great enthusiasm and the lord bless us and save us.
Where would we be at all today without smiling Al Davis?
There’s Max, Karen, Dharma and of course there’s Joan,
Who helps me with pronouncements, the computer and the phone.
I knew we had a good line up from the very start,
And putting Paul in charge of news was very, very Smart.
Sara is behind the scene and for new membership is reaching,
Galen heads up fundraising and Kaya and Cory are always teaching.
There are lists of others I’ve left out without bad intention,
But they will all be recognized at our first convention.
Meanwhile this big happy family thinks it’s died and gone to heaven,
As they get their weekly fix of radio on nine oh point seven.
  • WGXC is a  Community Supported Radio Station broadcasting
on 90.7FM  24/7 staffed and operated by mostly volunteers, who do
so at their own expense . It also can be heard at www.wgxc.org .
+   I am the host of the Irish show every Sunday night 8PM. I am also frequently The Guest DJ Friday 7PM on which shows I may play Country, R & R or Dance.
If you listen to WGXC all the time you’ll hear me some of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment