Saturday, September 1, 2018

Beauty And Love©TonyFallon0901


Beauty And Love©TonyFallon090118

She had that look about her and I knew it was class
She should have been rich born instead of country lass
I think I loved her at first for what she could have been
She could have been the daughter of a King or Queen 
She was not unhappy and she seemed to lack expectations
I could not understand why we had no complications
She had beauty she had grace and natural charm
The equal of the finest yet she was born on a farm
Of the poverty she lived she never once complained
When I thought of all she was missing my heart was surely pained
I asked her once how she'd feel if asked her to walk out
And would her father and mother fret and fume or pout 
We'd walk for two miles or so to a seat by the local brook
Then read stories every evening from a favorite book
I asked her one evening why she had not tried matrimony
She said her father could not afford the holy ceremony.
She said her parents sacrificed to buy her skirts and blouses
But she came from the laborers cot not one of those fine houses
I said I had little but love and it would last forever more
And I'd marry her in the morning in the clothes that she wore
We decided then and there to elope much to her delight
And we told our four parents before we kissed good night
She was radiant with pleasure the day of the wedding
And we were husband and wife by the second reading
It was a small church wedding and we were not too errant
Joined in the sight of God a delight to the heart of any parent
I don't believe in superstition but there were many days of luck
In our little home in Mount Talbot on the banks of the River Suck
Then the cursed cancer came and took her after a courageous fight
And the three little ones and I cry ourselves to sleep almost every night.

No comments:

Post a Comment