Monday, September 10, 2018

Spirits Amongst Us © TonyFallon091018


Spirits Amongst Us © TonyFallon091018

I was coming home from Bert McGrath's Pub one night in October
I had drunk a lot of Guinness and I was far from sober.
The cold wind was whistling in the bare trees and there was no moon
And I was about half way home almost a mile from the saloon
There was not a light to be seen for miles and I was walking hard
Because a hundred and fifty yards in front was the old churchyard
There were a couple of people there who went from pillars to posts
Even on the brightest of nights I would not want to meet their ghosts
I decided I'd better walk faster so I picked up the gait
And I was practically running when I went by the entrance gate
I made the sign of the cross and prayed for all the innocent souls
Wishing all from our parish were with God and not in red hot coals
Just a little farther on the road I heard this awful thudding sound
And I will have to admit to you I was too scared to turn around
I may have been scared this much before but not very often
When I got the courage to look back there behind me was a coffin
It just kept following ten feet behind me going THUMP THUMP THUMP
And my poor heart was almost in my mouth going JUMP JUMP JUMP
I'll swear to anybody who'll believe me I heard a banshee cry
I knew my life was over on the road home I was going to die
Well I was still alive and breathing when I reached my parents abode
And it followed me into the garden it didn't stay out on the road
I circled around the house and for some reason it went in the shed
I went into the house and turned on the lights and never went to bed
Next morning in the shed there was no evidence of what I had seen
But there's a rumor that in McGrath's there was a bottle of poteen
Maybe the spirit in that coffin needed some more prayers and mass
Or maybe the only spirits that night were poured into my glass.
I don't know if this was imaginary but I swore off the beers
So I went to see the Parish Priest and signed up for the Pioneers

No comments:

Post a Comment