Tuesday, December 18, 2018

One in A Million(2018)TonyFallon1218


One in A Million(2018)TonyFallon1218




The first time I ever heard her was that night in Abilene
The teens were singing along with her she was their country queen
She was a bundle of energy with every song she sang
She yodeled like in the mountains or put on a Texas twang

Her voice was somewhere between Loretta and Dolly Parton
She was not wearing blue jeans just a mini skirt of tartan
She sang of her childhood growing up in a distant holler
Or driving down the highway in an eighteen wheel hauler

I had seen her in a program and I loved her photograph
Later I asked for her phone number and her autograph
She said no one has ever been that brave before and laughed
She said lets you and me go for tea I must be going daft

As we walked across the street we must have looked so unmatched
She smiled so sweetly and said you know I'm still unattached
I said I already know your name and mine is Tony
I could tell she was real she was not dressed up too phony

Sitting drinking coffee she said they think I'm the real thing
They treat me as good as Elvis and Elvis was the King
You've seen the bald bass player that I refer to as my daddy
That is one big fat lie I went to school in Glenamaddy

She said tomorrow my contract ends I am about to leave
My manager is too demanding, dishonest and a thieve
She said for fifteen years I've traveled many a country road
I'm not hooked on drugs or booze but my head wants to explode

I've had many record offers but they somehow fell through
And when guitar players got good they always left the crew
I've had hundreds of offers of marriage but I have no remorse
Many of them were drunks it would have wound up in divorce

I am tired of all the honky tonks and all the red neck bars
Driving hundreds of miles at night and sleeping in dirty cars
People who know me think I lead a glamorous exciting life
I envy my sister in Tuam who has children and no strife

For over three hundred nights a year I put on a country show
I'm longing to see friends in Glen or to go to Ballymoe
So I'm packing it in no matter what my manager will say
I'm going to have my dinner in Ireland next Christmas Day

She was one in a million within five minutes I just knew
That in this crazy world like this girl there were very few
She had used her singing talent and almost reached the top
She wanted to return to real life and she knew when to stop.

I proposed to her six nights later in the Bronx on Jerome
We both went home that Christmas to meet all the folks at home
Many of our friends know about her but we live low key

But she surprises most people when she sings at Karaoke


No comments:

Post a Comment