Sunday, December 23, 2018

The Lady in the Station © 12/23/16 Tony Fallon.


The Lady in the Station © 12/23/16 Tony Fallon.

As I approached the train station I saw her there by the door
That was not the first time I saw her she was often there before
The clothes that she wore was for summer not for winter cold
She looked like she was about forty maybe not even that old
I was going on Christmas vacation on the train down to Tralee
Without even thinking I said ‘would you like a warm cup of tea’
She said I never drink tea but I do drink coffee once in a while
I could tell by the way she spoke this woman grew up in style
Why the urge came on me to share some moments I can’t explain
Maybe it was because I was twenty minutes early for the Tralee train
My fiancée was down in Kerry I wasn’t thinking of cheating
I certainly learned a lot about life while she and I sat there eating
She said she came from a rich family and always wanted to act
She got bit pieces in movies and TV but never got a contract
The parents were against it, they didn’t like the vocation she chose
But her father was a real softie and he gave her money for clothes
In one of the early movies the hero saved the maid in distress
It wasn’t very long after until they were sharing the same address
He went down to the west every weekend and never took her along
Her mother said he was married what she was doing was wrong
The years went by quickly each weekend they parted at the train
Then once he went down to the west and never came back again
She had no number or address how could this mystery be solved
All alone in her native Dublin with none other was she involved
They say that he’s over in England in some different occupation
If he comes back on the boat he’ll have to pass through the station
When we parted she said she loved him though she’d been misled
Another Maureen O’Hara with blue eyes and a flaming red head.


No comments:

Post a Comment