Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Not writing about© 2018Tony Fallon77



Not writing about© 2018Tony Fallon77

The task of the poet gets tougher every day
I am often tempted to try my hand at a play
I can’t write a poem about anything already written
You can’t expect an Irishman to write about Britain
So there will be nothing about the white cliff of Dover
Since I’m Catholic nothing at all about Passover
Or I could try to write a new Haiku creation
As I have no subject for a new recitation
I am not going to write more about romance
Or a night in East Durham of song and dance
So few new subjects I don’t know where to begin
If I started them I might never fin
What words do I use when I want to compose?
Everybody knows already that red is the rose
Every flower on earth has a poem or a sonnet
And there’s already a legend about a blue bonnet
Some say Mary had a lamb and also a bear
There also is a legend about turtles and a hare
They have also covered a wolf huffing and puffing
And two innocent pigs who thought he was bluffing
I cannot write of lakes with some golden daffodils
Or lakes in Ireland beneath Killarney’s green hills
I can’t write about Casey the baseball maven
And Poe copyrighted his words about the raven
So many poems about hearts that were breakin’
They even wrote one about the road not taken
Enough is written about the moon and the stars
And Hobos hitching rides in railway boxcars
Great poems have been written one after another
About great Moms or a real evil godmother
There are enough poems written about death and dying
Some so gruesome and brutal that they are horrifying
There is something about a motel and Mister Bates
The lovely Isle of Innisfree was the creation of Yates
We had Moby Dick and we also had Jaws
And poems about Rudolf and Santa Clause
Children love to hear stories of Casper the Ghost
And they’ve covered shipwrecks on many a coast
We can’t have another charge of the light brigade
And nobody wants to hear more about De Sade
In olden days the valiant slew fire breathing dragons
And settlers trudged to the west in covered wagons
 You can’t dance with yourself or dance in the dark
Or talk about a mild manned reporter named Clark
There have been poems of brave soldiers who died
Out in the west there was Bonnie and Clyde
And cowboys and rustlers who lived rough on the prairie
Irish soldiers in France singing songs about Tipperary
You can depend on someone to write about latest trends
They have the sidewalks of NY and where the sidewalk ends
I can’t use any of the subjects covered by Robert Burns
And I can’t write another poem about Grecian urns
No more shall anybody write about the great Robin Hood
There has been far too many wild tales of babes in the wood
Neither can I write about Jonas being eaten by a whale
After being thrown into the ocean in the middle of a gale
If I stole words from Frost or Whitman people would be riled
But if I stole words from Oscar his fans would go Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment