Tuesday, November 27, 2018

The Immigrant©2018TonyFallon 1126


The Immigrant©2018TonyFallon 1126

I met her on a moonlit night she was looking for a bus
She had to be from out of town they had stopped running
I said I could walk her; there were things we could discuss
She looked like an athlete, she was a vision, she was stunning.

She said in a foreign city she was wary of all strangers
Not to trust anybody was the way she had been reared
Never to let down her guard there were so many dangers
Especially in this town so many people were just weird

I told her that she'd have to stay six hours at that location
Because there never were any busses running here at night
About a mile away there was an all night taxi station
I could call for her in case to walk would cause too much fright

She asked how long it would take to walk to her destination
I said we could make it there in a little over an hour
And I would walk her there without the least hesitation
As a visitor to walk alone I would not allow her

Well the talk was enlightening I learned Montreal was her Zip
She had a Canada visa ninety days was all she could stay
She had a nonrefundable ticket it was marked roundtrip
The last day spent in America would be in the month of May

She asked so many questions about my life in the suburbs
I answered all her questions said I lived with mom and my pop
She was surprised with the busses having nightly curbs
She was also surprised when I told her I lived near the bus stop

Well that hour went by too quickly but I got her phone number
Before I bid good night at her new abode for ninety more days
After the long walk home I still did not have an easy slumber
And the next day at work was like a dream I was in a daze

The clock sprung forward and the days were getting longer
Meanwhile she got a part time afternoon position
My happiness with this lady each day grew stronger
She was happy too with her salary and commission

We were slowly falling for each other but there was tension
Could she stay or could I go we needed a visa revision
Her ninety days were gobbled up she needed an extension
And we couldn't wait here forever for Ottawa's decision

I applied for a visa there but they say I'm unskilled
I pleaded a hard case scenario and was gracious
I said there's a hole where my heart was it cannot be filled
I was there every morning to plead I was tenacious

The facts presented to her were beyond her control
She could not take me with her yet she could not remain
She had checked it with a lawyer there was no loophole
At the end of ninety days she had to get back on the plane

They say there are regulations that have to be applied
I argued that the laws of man should not keep loves apart
And I should not be left outside if she became my bride
They said that would be illegal and not very smart

They said once I crossed over their border I would be banned
Since my name was already entered in their data base
No matter where I went my name would always be scanned
On the monitor would be my personal data and my face

When it comes to love there are lines that can never be crossed
Completely invisible but known worldwide as borders
Decision are being made which come at a terrible cost
By minor bureaucrats who just act on high minded orders


I have 2 computers one upstairs one down.

This poem I wrote upstairs while writing LOST LOVE 
downstairs.



No comments:

Post a Comment