Friday, November 9, 2018

Mother’s kitchen when I was young by Tony Fallon.11816


 Mother’s kitchen when I was young by Tony Fallon.11816

Every Saturday my parent would go to town on bicycles
Whether it was sunny or on the roof there were icicles
My mother would come home happy my father subdued
There was no Guinness money after buying six bags of food
We kids wanted to empty the bags there might be a surprise
One week it might be oranges another week French fries
Our thoughts of course were on the side of the extreme
We expected that some day there would be ice cream.
She said the temperature wasn’t low and she really felt
That even if she put it in a jam jar it would quickly melt.
One time she did surprise us when in the month of July
She brought home the ingredients of an exotic pie
Blancmange it was and all us kids could do was bawl
When our mother told us John Joe Fallon ate it all
There was black and white pudding sausages and bacon
And one time ginger beer that could have been Jamaican
 One day there would be a bottle to help with indigestion
Another day a bottle to help with stomach congestion
And how about at Easter cute little chickens that were yellow
Other time there were mice or ducks made out of marshmallow
She’d warn everybody emptying a bag to save the receipts,
We didn’t care about the paperwork we were looking for sweets
One day it was mixed pickles the worst thing I ever tasted
My father made the curt comment “that’s good money wasted”
Even neighbors kids dropped in without any inviting
To see what my mother bought to make Saturday exciting.
I never will forget the look on poor Sean Doyle’s face
When he tried the mixed pickles, just after we said Grace.
I know my parents disagreed about those few shillings spent
But what would I talk about this evening if she didn’t experiment?


No comments:

Post a Comment