Friday, November 9, 2018

When I was young ©tony fallon011516


When I was young ©tony fallon011516

You know yourself that just after you’ve waken
You’d be looking forward to eggs and bacon
The porridge was bubbling in a pot on the hob
In Irish kitchens before you went off to your job
Right out of the pot it tasted almost like concrete,
So you added loads of sugar to make it sweet,
My mother said the porridge gave my face a glow
I think it was all the sugar gave me the up and go.
It never put hair on my chest or rosy cheeks on my face
Oats should be reserved for horses that are going to race
The praises of porridge surely came from the throats
Of farmers who had sowed far too many fields of oats
An old wife’s tale said it was good for pains and aches
Why not try it out on chickens and ducks and drakes 
I think myself oats should be milled just for cakes,
And for breakfast give me a big bowl of Corn Flakes,

No comments:

Post a Comment