Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Annette The girl from Fuerty(102417)

Annette © Tony Fallon 102417
In my computer, I have many pictures in Google Chrome
They are pictures of Rahara where I once called home
Often when I look at them many tears are shed
Especially at night before I go to my bed
No matter how I fight it gloom quickly descends
When I look at pictures of my parents and friends
But there is one picture that causes great regret
That lovely girl from Fuerty by the name of Annette
She could sing like a lark and she had two dancing feet
When she danced jigs or reels she never missed a beat
Many nights in the 60’s we went dancing hand in hand
On the Racecourse road in Reynolds’s Fairyland
To be the one in her company I was so very proud
And I was the envy of many young men in the crowd
No matter how hard I try I never shall forget
That lovely girl from Fuerty by the name of Annette
We both got jobs in town when our education was complete
And we often spent our lunch hour walking on Main Street
It made her very sad that I was headed for Manhattan
We both loved languages and often spoke openly in Latin
When people heard us talking they thought we were praying
Of course, very few people had any idea what we were saying
We often sang of Ballymoe we were the perfect duet
We probably would have been big stars, Tony and Annette.
If you start out with nothing it’s hard to produce
There was no hope of a golden egg from any golden goose
Like much more before me I had to head for foreign parts
Now in America and Ireland, there were two broken hearts
I thought for sure I’d be headed for foreign wars
But I’d had far too many operations and too many scars
A few years later I returned but was really upset
For Fuerty was no longer the home of my darling Annette.

No comments:

Post a Comment